Description of Project:
The TA prepared a feasibility study and preliminary engineering design to rehabilitate the section of the road in complex mountain terrain in Surkhob valley from Km 140 (between Nurabad and the Tavildara Junction) to Nimich (Km 217, the Tajikabad Junction), a total distance of approximately 77 km, 12 km road section in Kyrgyz border and selected rural roads totaling about 60 km. In addition to road the project also replaces 11 and repair 2 bridges and 177 culverts. The project road also covers mitigation measures for 1 million cubic meter landslide, 640 meter side slope, and 1,900 meter rockfall sections. The project also covered transport sector policy by updating the sector profile for Tajikistan, including financial status, road safety, road maintenance, cross-border traffic, and traffic management. Update institutional development and policy reforms in the road subsector initiated under previous projects.
Description of Services Provided by the Engconsult for this Project are:
- Updating the transport sector profile for Tajikistan, including financial status, road safety, road maintenance, and traffic management;
- Reviewing of the status of institutional development and policy reforms in the road subsector initiated under previous projects;
- The selection criteria and prioritized rankings, based on poverty and other indicators, for rural roads and bridges to be included in the Project;
- The cost estimates, regional economic analysis and the technical and economic feasibility study for the main road, border road section and rural roads comprising the Project, including an examination of the appropriate use of labor-intensive techniques for construction and maintenance;
- Review Preliminary engineering design of pavement, culverts, and bridges and recommend mitigation measures for landslide, rockfall and critical side slope.
- Preparing initial environmental examination and summary IEE, including environmental management and monitoring plan;
- Prepare plan for health, safety, and hygiene including HIV/AIDs and STIs;
- Undertaking social impact analysis including involuntary resettlement effects attributable to the Project;
- Performing poverty impact analysis; and
- Analyzing the need for further advisory TA for institutional strengthening of MOT.