Detailed Narrative Description of Project:
The objective of the TA is to assist the National Environmental Protection Agency (NEPA) to develop a prioritized, phased, and sustainable AQM system for Kabul. Sustainability will be achieved through (i) baseline air quality monitoring, and sustainable AQM system for sampling and reporting of ambient air quality levels in Kabul; (ii) baseline emissions inventory (industrial, vehicular and domestic) and a sustainable emissions inventory system; (iii) delivery of software tools and training to support AQM in Kabul, including development of technical proficiency in local counterparts in the public and private sectors for air pollution measurement, management, and control; (iv) public information documents, workshops, and seminars for informing the public and educating decision makers on the impacts of air quality in Kabul; and (v) development of a draft AQM system for Kabul, and Urban Air Quality strategy report, with specific policy recommendations, for the consideration of NEPA and the Kabul Municipal Government.
Engconsult was responsible for the following:
- Prepare and deliver the USEPA-APTI Self-Instructional Course Air Pollution Control Orientation, Introduction to Emissions Inventories, and a permitting course to NEPA officials.
- Prepare gap analysis report on staffing and training for execution of the KAQM Strategic Plan by NEPA and other involved government and private sector organizations.
- Write DRAFT Kabul Air Quality Management Strategy Report including all required analysis. The Report is modeled on the format of the World Bank URBAIR Series for Asian Cities. The report includes the write-up and analysis of the following:
- Air pollution concentrations including analysis of measured concentrations in Kabul
- Air pollutant emissions inventories in Kabul valley and dispersion modeling calculations, identify pollution hot spots and population exposure to air pollution.
- Improving air quality assessment including main shortcomings and data gaps.
- Air pollution impacts in Kabul valley, mortality, morbidity (illness)
- Valuation of health impacts, health impact and economic damage by source category.
- Abatement measures: effectiveness and costs for traffic management, implementation of a scheme for inspection & maintenance, improved fuel quality, adoption of clean vehicle emissions standards, improved abatement/other propulsion techniques, addressing resuspension, and construction and improvement of mass-transit systems.
- Industrial combustion (excluding brick manufacturing), brick manufacturing, domestic emissions and refuse burning
- Prepare actions to improve air quality and its management
- Review existing laws and institutions involved on air pollution
- And prepare the following appendices:
- Air quality status in Kabul valley, Air quality guidelines, Emissions inventory, Emission factors, particles, and Spreadsheet for calculating effects of control measures on emissions
- Overall gap analysis that will support completion of the final revision of the KAQM Strategic Plan Report.