Description of Project:
The objective of the technical assistance project is to help the Government prepare the Yevlax-Ganja road rehabilitation project suitable for ADB financing. The Project aims to foster regional cooperation and sustainable economic growth in Azerbaijan by increasing the efficiency and safety of transport between Yevlax and Ganja on the east-west road corridor linking Baku to the Georgian border.
Description of Services Provided by the Engconsult for this Project are:
- Reviewing the environmental assessment prepared by the TACIS-funded consultants, and prepared an initial environmental examination (IEE) and a summary IEE report according to ADB’s guidelines and procedures. The IEE report included an environmental management and monitoring plan and contractor specifications for environmental management and monitoring.
- The environmental impact covered the ecological impacts (plants and wildlife); soil erosion and desertification; protection of wetland habitat; impact of quarry sites; impact of construction camps on local environment (natural and social); operational traffic safety measures; areas with known archeological value; and response plan for potential spills of hazardous or toxic chemicals.
- Preparing the measures to mitigate possible negative environmental impacts during the design, rehabilitation, and operation of the Project.
- Prepare plan for health, safety, and hygiene including HIV/AIDs and STIs.
- Preparing cost estimates for the environmental mitigation measures and an implementation schedule. Assisting in incorporating appropriate mitigating measures into the project design.
- Soliciting and incorporating comments on the draft IEE and summary IEE reports from ADB, the Government, NGOs, civil society, and other stakeholders, and contributed to preparing the project framework and project performance management system by providing respective inputs to the Team Leader.